Unfortunately, we are exposed to toxic mold on a daily basis, either by touch, breath, or ingestion. The worst part is that one can be unaware of being intoxicated. Mold grows behind walls, beneath floors, and often appears in food. In severe cases, mold can be detrimental.

Some types of mold emit toxic and invisible chemicals known as mycotoxins. They are known to contaminate everything, from furniture to clothing. They travel through the body and damage the immunity, joints, the nervous system, etc. In fact, they can even change the way you think, feel, and how long you will live.

Mold also generates allergens and irritants that can trigger reactions associated with person’s sensitivities. In fact, a study showed that 25% to 28% of North Americans have a genetic predisposition for problems with water-damaged buildings.

Often times, this condition is misdiagnosed because its symptoms are very similar to other illnesses and conditions like Celiac disease, chronic fatigue syndrome, Lyme disease, etc. They are joint ache, tiredness, headaches, food sensitivities, weight problems, numbness, blurry vision, light sensitivity, mood and sleep problems, auto-immune problems, inflammation, etc.

Around 50% of USA buildings are water-damaged so the chances for being in the same room with mold are pretty high. Mold flourishes in damp and poorly ventilated areas. In most cases, it begins with some plumbing issue, like a leak in the roof or after a flood. Mold is known to develop under the carpet, in wood, and in poor construction materials.

Dirty HVAC units absorb dust and moisture, so they’re the perfect surrounding for mold, even when there is no leak. To make matters worse, mold can also develop in dry and arid climates. Foods which can develop mold are grains, nuts, chocolate, wine, and coffee.

How to get rid of mold?

Once you remove mold from your surroundings, your body will go back to normal. The most accurate test for mold detection is the ERMI, developed by the EPA. The test is based on taking samples from your home, office, or any other place where you spend most of your time.

What to do if the test is positive?

You should consult a mold professional to identify the sources and treat the issue adequately. Additionally, you should use a contractor grade drying system. After repairing leaks, removing mold, and clearing the air exchanges, it is advisable to do the test once more.

Moreover, you should consult a doctor trained in the Shoemaker Protocol or a doctor who is familiar with mold illness, as your body will need proper detoxification. Exclude foods which contain yeast, fungus, and mold, like carbs and sugar. It’s highly advisable to add supplements to your diet that will encourage the removal of toxins, like glutathione and activated charcoal.