Baking soda is definitely one of the most versatile ingredients out there. Besides being used as an ingredient for food preparation, as a skin care product, as a natural remedy, etc., baking soda can also be of great use in the garden as well. Let’s find out how:
- Baking soda sweetens tomatoes-baking soda reduces the acidity of tomatoes. Simply sprinkle a bit of baking soda into the soil where you grow tomatoes.
- It encourages blooming-dissolve a bit of baking soda in water, put it into a sprayer, and spray the soil where you grow begonias, geraniums, and hydrangeas.
- Baking soda protects roses from powdery mildew-you will need to make a mixture of 7 tbsp of baking soda, a bit of insecticidal soap, and 5 gallons of clean water. Pour the mixture into a sprayer and apply it to the roses once per week.
- Baking soda prevents the appearance of slugs-use it directly onto the slugs.
- Baking soda acts as an organic pesticide– dissolve it with water and use it as a pesticide sprayer to keep insects away.
- Baking soda is an excellent anti-insect spray- you will need to mix a tsp of baking soda, 1/3 cup of cold-pressed cooking oil, and a cup of water. Transfer the mixture in a spray bottle and it’s ready for use.
- Baking soda deodorizes smelly compost– add it to the compost pile to suppress bad odor.
- Cleans clay pots and bird baths-use baking soda as a heating pop treatment to eliminate rottenness. You can also use it to clean dirty window boxes. Remember to flush well.
- Baking soda maintains the soil fresh-apply a thin layer of baking soda into the pot and then add the potting soil.
- Prolongs the life of cut flowers-soak them in baking soda solution.
- Removes ants-sprinkle baking soda dissolved in water onto their nest and add a bit of vinegar. The ants will be gone in no time.
Excellent uses of baking soda in the kitchen:
- Use baking soda to sanitize cutting boards
- Use baking soda to prepare your own scouring powder (you will need: a cup of baking soda, a cup of borax, and a cup of salt)
- Use baking soda to get rid of unpleasant hand odor
- Use baking soda to get rid of mineral deposits on kitchenware
- Use baking soda to degrease grills
- Use baking soda to clean the microwave ( you will need to mix ¼ warm water and 4 tbsp of baking soda)